Joy: A Message from the Bishop

Jack Sague, Writer, Photographer

Bishop Denis J. O’Connell High School opened its doors on September 9, 1957, as a co-ed college preparatory school, admitting 360 ninth-graders from the six founding parishes: St. James, St. Thomas More, St. Ann, St. Charles, St. Agnes and St. John. Since then, O’Connell has served over 18,000 students who have gone on to make an impact in the community. The school originally opened as “co-institutional” with the boys on one side of the building and the girls on the other. The boys were taught by the Brothers of the Chrstian Schools, while the girls were instructed by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (I.H.M.) To this day the I.H.M. Sisters continue to show us all how to live lives of service, dedication, persistence, and integrity. 

Bishop Michael Burbidge made his annual visit on the actual anniversary of the opening. When Bishop Burbidge first arrived, he was greeted by Mr. Crittenburger, Mr. Roque, Father McShurley, and our SCA executive board. He sat and met with the executive board, and talked about different leadership strategies and also summer adventures. The Bishop wasn’t able to stay long, as he had to get ready to say Mass with Fr. McShurley.  In His Excellency’s homily, he talked about how we should all be bringers of joy, which is the theme for this school year. When asked afterwards about his homily, the Bishop said that he had no idea that it was this year’s theme, he guessed the Holy Spirit just told him to talk about it.  Mr. Dwyer, class of 1961, was honored at the end of Mass, as he was in the first ever graduating class at O’Connell. 

The day’s festivities didn’t stop after Mass, though. Bishop Burbidge walked around school, stopping in and talking to some classes, giving his insight on the topics of discussion. He and several students then all sat down and enjoyed lunch together. Senior Samson Ogunade was one of those students who dined with the Bishop. He reflected, “Lunch was a lot of fun and it was a really cool atmosphere to have lunch with both the Bishop and fellow classmates.” Students were also given cake at their lunches to celebrate the 65 years of the school. “The cake at lunch was the icing to an amazing day!” exclaimed Senior Patrick O’Brien.