To The Cure and Beyond!

MaryFrances Vorbach

SCA Officers, Teacher Choir, and Superdance Committees singing “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” to kick off the 48th Superdance Assembly

John Mikhael Agtarap, Managing Editor

Since 1976, students at Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington have come together annually to celebrate the long-lasting tradition of Superdance–an event aimed at raising funds and awareness aimed at finding a cure for cystic fibrosis (CF). With nearly $5 million raised over the span of 47 years, the current generation of Knights continues these efforts to support medical research on this debilitating disease, which seriously affects the functioning of a person’s lungs and digestive system. Today approximately 40,000 people in the U.S. are struggling with the effects of CF.

Superdance is a 12-hour student-organized dance marathon held each year at Bishop O’Connell. In 1976, senior Maura O’Donnell organized the first Superdance in honor of her sophomore sister, Brenda, who died in April 1975 due to CF. With the help of Maura’s friends and then-principal Msgr. James McMurtrie, Bishop O’Connell hosted its first-ever Superdance event in the hopes of making a difference for other families affected by this disease. Since then, Bishop O’Connell has remained dedicated in honoring the O’Donnell family’s legacy by cementing Superdance as an integral part of the O’Connell community.

On February 10 of this year at an all-school assembly, the theme for the 48th Superdance was revealed– “To the Cure and Beyond!” The four-hour assembly was organized by the student council and 12 student committees, and included a variety of games, videos, and student-led performances. An important part of the assembly was also the group of guest speakers who shared their experiences about how cystic fibrosis has affected their lives. The enthusiastic applause after every presentation made it clear that the O’Connell student body is absolutely hyped for the March 11, 2023 Superdance. 

During the time between the assembly and Superdance, the student committees take on certain roles in ensuring that this year’s event runs smoothly. Some manage the student registration process for Superdance, others prepare to decorate the school gym before the dance, and others are responsible for arranging a full slate of entertainment to cover the entire 12-hour time period. 

Over the past 47 years, Bishop O’Connell has raised $4,856,828 for this cause; the most the school has raised in a year was $200,000 in 2001. This year, the school nears the $5 million mark, and the student leaders are very determined to reach that goal. “I think it’s a really cool opportunity for (the class of 2023) to go down as the class that surpassed five million,” says senior Jack Sague, Student Council President. “The fact that we’ve raised close to that amount in  47 years is really impressive, and it shows why Superdance is the nation’s largest high school fundraiser for this cause!”

With the combined efforts of students, faculty, and generous friends and family, Bishop O’Connell will continue to fight and raise awareness until a cure for all who suffer from CF is found.