Knights Christmas Preparation is a Go!

Sophia Carney, Writer, Layout Designer

The Christmas season is well known for being a time during the liturgical year that is incredibly important to the Christian faith. Celebrating the season of Advent is one of the many ways Bishop O’Connell High School prepares for Christmas. Advent is the season of hope and anticipation that lasts from November 27 to December 24. The Christmas season then starts on Christmas Eve and ends on January 6 on the feast day of the Epiphany of the Lord. The Bishop O’Connell community makes sure to give both seasons their due diligence since people often overlook the Advent season during the excitement of Christmas preparations.

The Bishop O’Connell community has spent time decorating their school with festive decorations. Students painted murals on windows, put up holiday lights, and placed trees around the school. These students put a lot of effort into making this merry season a little brighter. The faculty has become involved in these preparations as well by decorating their classrooms for the past few weeks. Teachers have carefully constructed their classrooms to balance having a place for education and learning with having a welcoming atmosphere filled with dazzling adornments. Bishop O’Connell’s halls have Christmas trees, advent wreaths, and doors swathed in wrapping paper. Religion teachers have started to teach lessons about the core principles of Advent and Christmas as these two highly anticipated seasons approach. Teachers have enriched the Bishop O’Connell curriculum with great joy by telling stories about the candles of Advent and the Immaculate Conception.     

Bishop O’Connell’s faculty has aided students in many ways to prepare themselves spiritually for the coming of Christ. The season began with Adoration during religion classes where students were allowed to reflect and revere with the consecrated host exposed in a monstrance. The school as a community celebrated the Immaculate Conception with Mass and a Eucharistic Procession. Another great way that students have prepared for this season of giving is by participating in many of the service opportunities offered by Christian Service Coordinator Alison Kearney. Ms. Kearney sends out service opportunities every few weeks based on the needs of our community and the season. Bishop O’Connell’s students have demonstrated their love to help their community through their service by helping to rake the leaves at the IHM sisters convent and volunteering to help with Christmas tree sales at St. John the Beloved Academy Middle School.