The Fine Arts Program’s Chicago Trip

Getty Images

Lizzie Zeoli

This spring, the Fine Arts program traveled to Chicago, Illinois for four days to compete in a music competition against other schools in the country. Traveling to and performing in Chicago was a great experience for both staff, chaperones, and students. With wonderful sightseeing tours, delicious food, and productions, the Fine Arts group as a whole was able to experience this trip to its fullest potential. Everyone was able to enjoy the city of Chicago through the activities and events planned. The trip also allowed staff and students to dedicate themselves to their love and passion for music. In Chicago, the students were able to express their joy for the fine arts and display their talents.

In addition to competing and performing, students were able to take in the sights and sounds of the city of Chicago. The first day, everyone arrived in Chicago at the airport and went on a boat tour that educated tourists on the architecture of the city. Some other fun activities included seeing the famous “Bean” and the Untouchables Gangster Tour, experiencing the 360 TILT, watching Grease, and attending a Chicago Symphony Orchestra concert.  The choir, band, and orchestra all competed and performed on the third day, and the awards ceremony was that evening. Attending a Catholic Mass at Holy Name Cathedral was a memorable experience, as it marked an amazing end of the trip.

The awards Bishop O’Connell’s fine arts ensembles received were the Festival Sweepstakes and Choral Sweepstakes. The orchestra received the Adjudicator Award and the Festival of Gold invitation, and the choir received a Choral Festival of Gold and Carnegie Invitation. The unique Maestro Awards were awarded to Lisa Zhao, the student piano accompanist for choir, and Kennedy Burt, a student from the women’s choir ensembles. Receiving these awards reflected everyone’s hard work and dedication. Not only that, but these accomplishments brought everyone together and made everyone proud to be a part of O’Connell’s Fine Arts program.

Various students expressed their positive opinions about the success of the Chicago Trip as a whole. “I feel like it was a good bonding experience!” exclaimed Dani Vergara. “We all got closer with each other and I feel like having that really helps when it comes to working together to sing!”

“Little moments when I got to know individual people better really defined the trip for me,” said Matthew Seacrest. “There was a strong sense of connection in the group that I spent most of my time with, and I appreciate the chance to feel that.”

“Watching the whole performing arts department show so much love and support for each other across every ensemble was just really cool to me,” said Maia Cerezo. “We represented O’Connell in the best way we could, not only in our musicality, but in our school unity and spirit.” 

“The success of the Music Trip to Chicago is a testament to the dedication and talent of our students, as well as the hard work and organization of the Fine Arts Boosters,” said Timothy Lacrosse, Chair of Fine Arts. “We are incredibly proud of the students’ outstanding performances and the recognition they received from the panel of judges, and we couldn’t be more grateful for the support of our booster organization.”

Working with one another and finding harmony is an important part of music, but unity was not just seen in the music played. It was shown in the way the choir, band, and orchestra members connected with each other throughout the trip. Friendships and bonds were both created and strengthened when students spent time with one another and shared experiences during the trip. This trip to Chicago allowed the Fine Arts program of Bishop O’Connell to be something beyond just an extracurricular activity. It was a family.