Who is Father McShurley?

Who is Father McShurley?

Victor O'Neill Studios

Will Horstman, Writer

Father McShurley is the Chaplain here at O’Connell. He grew up in Linden, Va. which is near Front Royal. Growing up, he liked to play basketball and baseball with friends in his backyard. In school, his favorite classes were math and political science. Father McShurley started college at the University of Dallas studying Computer Science. After one year, he transferred to Christendom College in Front Royal and switched his major to Philosophy. Father McShurley was ordained as a Catholic priest June 6, 2020.

Why did Father McShurley become a priest?

Father McShurley said that he wanted to become a priest as he believed God was calling him. He said that people would ask him questions about the Catholic faith and he realized that his faith was really important to him. 

Where did Father McShurley work before O’Connell?

Father McShurley worked at St. Agnes Catholic Church as the Parochial Vicar, which is the assistant pastor. 

Why did Father McShurley come to O’Connell?

Father McShurley did not choose to come to O’Connell but rather he was assigned here by Bishop Burbidge. He was surprised by the opportunity to come here, but was excited to start.

What is Father McShurley’s favorite part about being a priest?

Father McShurley’s favorite part about being a priest is being able to celebrate Mass. He says that it is like having a front row seat to God’s grace. A second favorite part was being able to forgive people’s sins in the sacrament of confession.

Who is Father McShurley’s favorite saint?

Father McShurley’s favorite saint is Pope Saint Pius X as he is his confirmation saint, which he chose because when he was six years old he had a coloring book of him. Later in life, Father McShurley realized that he liked Pope Saint Pius X because of his devotion to the faith. His other favorite saints are Saint Thomas Aquinas and Saint Elizabeth of the Trinity.

What is Father McShurley’s favorite Bible verse?

Father McShurley’s favorite Bible verse is John, 12:32 which is, “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” He likes this verse because he wrote it on his ordination card and it talks about Jesus’ desire to save all people. His other favorite Bible verse is Ezekiel 36:26, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh,” as it explains how God desires to give us the ability to love in a greater way.

What is Father McShurley’s favorite part about O’Connell so far?

Father McShurley’s favorite part about O’Connell is the energy that the students bring. He loves the fact that he sees the people that he serves everyday.

What is Father McShurley’s favorite thing to do in his free time?

Father McShurley’s favorite thing to do in his free time is to read literature, learn about history, and to play and watch golf. His favorite golfer to watch is Rory McIlroy.

What is Father McShurley’s favorite TV show/movie?

Father McShurley’s favorite movies are Gladiator and Lord of the Rings. He likes to watch these movies as the characters act in a virtuous way.

Who is Father McShurley’s favorite professional sports team?

Father McShurley’s favorite professional sports team is the Dallas Cowboys.

What Father McShurley would tell the students at O’Connell if he could only say one thing?

Father McShurley wants all the students here at O’Connell to, “Learn to know Jesus and learn to trust him.”