A Knight In Paradise: Homecoming Spirit Week

Kate Pflanz, Visor Club

Homecoming Spirit week celebrates the student spirit of individuality and creativity. Students were given five themes for the five days of Spirit Week, each with room for creative interpretation. Each day featured new standards for fashion and style, and competitions within classes and grades were held on each day for students who portrayed each theme the best. The participation turnout this year was high, with a majority of students participating in at least one day’s theme. The punishment of a large Superdance T-shirt or being sent home must have intimidated the students.

Monday’s theme started strong with the challenge of Country vs. Country Club. Most students decorated their plain white tees with multicolored flannels, high cowboy boots, and excessive cowboy hats and jeans for the country look. The Country Clubbers put on preppy clothes, fitted golf shirts, and stylish shoes that displayed the laid-back wealth of country clubs. Monday’s theme of competitive lifestyles was met impressively, similarly to Tuesday’s. Tuesday’s theme of Tacky Tourist and the challenge of bringing anything but a backpack brought out the best in students’ creativity. Students doubled down on sunglasses, Hawaiian shirts, nature hats, and long shorts. Instead of backpacks, participants brought a variety of containers, from suitcases to duffel bags, laundry baskets to laundry bins, and plastic bags to grocery carts. The first two days of Spirit Week started strong.

The next two days’ themes followed suit. Wednesday’s Bikers vs. Surfers, inspired by the movie “Teen Beach,” featured tons of interpretations. From sporting denim jackets to multicolored leis, most people seemed to dress accordingly. Thursday’s Olympic theme, wearing favorite country colors, was met with abstract colors, representing the wearer’s country of choice. Although some students dressed in jerseys and branded USA sweatpants, some chose to wear the solid colors of the country flags. And finally, Friday’s theme of class colors featured freshmen in gray, sophomores in white, juniors in blue, and seniors in black. All of these dark colors looked pronounced at the Homecoming Pep Rally, in which the opposingly-colored grades faced off against each other. 

Overall, Homecoming Spirit Week promoted creative interpretations of daily themes, some wild and some calm. Almost everyone participated, and students had fun displaying their clothing choices over the week.